Monday, October 6, 2008

Menu and Grocery List

I have a tentative menu for the week, knowing that the latter half of the week's menu could change depending on what arrives in the CSA box.

Monday: Roasted chicken with potatoes, onion, and bruschetta
Tuesday: Chiles en Nogadas
Wednesday: Black Bean Tostadas
Thursday: Beef Enchiladas
Friday: Possibly something with Acorn Squash (it's accumulating in my pantry)
Saturday: Official I'm Not Cooking Day

And the accompanying grocery list for the week looked like:
baking powder
unbleached all purpose flour
organic black beans
Texas lemons
organic honey nut O's
local goat cheese
corn tortillas
oranges (not a good time for oranges---only ones available were from Australia!)
organic orange juice
cilantro
YoBaby
honey whole wheat bread
organic red potatoes
Grana Padano cheese
organic whole milk
brown sugar
whole wheat pita
locally made salsa

I got more produce this week than usual because this week's coupon was for $10 off produce. Like I've said earlier, I can't turn down free stuff, evidently even if it is Australian oranges (oh, they places they've gone!). They were for a recipe though, and they really do improve the recipe considerably so I gave in.

Someone asked me what snacks for my kids look like. This week snacks will probably be:
Baba Ganoush and pita
cucumber slices
Crackers and cheese
Cheese and Apple Slices (a great combination---especially with a nice sharp cheese like cheddar or manchego)
O's and raisins/dried cranberries mixed together

Snacks aren't a thrilling thing for me. They end up being an after thought, a little like, "Oh no! I need a snack now, what do we have?" M could eat Baba Ganoush and pita and crackers and cheese for every single snack for ever, so we do a lot of repeating snacks as well. Desperation snacks include giving M trail mix, knowing she will only eat the M & M's out of it (so for the next little while, there are no more M & M's to eat out of it). Occasionally, if I bake, some baked good may be a snack as well. Last week we had very small slices of apple cake for a morning snack a time or two.

No comments: