Monday, October 20, 2008

On Fresh Air Today

I somehow managed to hear Fresh Air on NPR this afternoon. There was an incredible interview with Michael Pollan, the author of The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food. (To listen to the whole interview, click on Listen Now.) He talked about eating sustainably and a letter he wrote to the next president of the United States (which was published in the New York Times Magazine on Sunday). He covered many other topics, those are the ones that managed to stick while I was in the car. If you haven't read his books, I would highly suggest them. The Omnivore's Dilemma describes three different meals---a corn based, a grass based (better than it sounds) and a foragers meal. In Defense of Food talks about his guidelines he follows for defining what food is and how he chooses what food to buy. There are some repeated material between the two books, but both are great reads.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow,they must be good books because most of the libraries in Austin have them checked out!

Melani said...

I'd offer you mine but I don't think I have my copy right now either (loaned them out already).

Michelle said...

That's sweet. But I can be patient. :)I have plenty of other books on my to-do list.