Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bang Bang Chicken

I discovered this simple stir fry way back when I was in college. It's been a standby ever since and always is a hit. M and J both loved it and had seconds. Curtis was away, so he missed the meal. The meal was made super simple because I had chicken breasts left in the freezer from when my mother-in-law was here (she bought a huge pack of chicken breasts to make her tortilla soup and I was left with 6 leftover breasts). I didn't have enough broccoli from the CSA box, so I went to the garden and trimmed a small head to supplement the farm broccoli.

3 year olds are funny creatures. They are basically living playbacks of conversations they hear the adults around them having. I realized last night at supper exactly how much Curtis and I talk about the food we eat when M told me, "This has good flavor Mommy. How do they make chicken?" I won't get into the my response about how a chicken gets from the live bird running around a field to on her plate. Her chicken last night missed out on the running around part, because it was store bought chicken.

Bang Bang Chicken
1 whole chicken breast (2 individual), cut into strips
1 clove garlic, minced
2 t ginger root, grated
1 scallion, chopped into 1-inch pieces (or 1/2- 1 c chopped onion)
1/4 c water
2 T soy sauce
2 T peanut butter
1 T red wine vinegar
2 c broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces

Cooked rice

Briefly stir-fry chicken, garlic, ginger, and scallion in 1 -2 T oil until chicken is cooked through. Add water, soy sauce, peanut butter, and red wine vinegar. Simmer 5 minutes. Add broccoli
Cook until vegetables are crisp tender, about 7 minutes. Serve over rice.

No comments: