Friday, January 9, 2009

Greens and Cheese Sandwich


I chose this recipe because it was one of the few I knew of that used mustard greens. It turns out that upon closer inspection, my mustard greens weren't mustard greens but broccoli rabe. Since I had already bought the cheese for the sandwiches, I decided to go ahead and make them with the broccoli rabe. (The secret to how I knew it was broccoli rabe---at the inside of the bunch of greens I found what looked like loose little bunches of broccoli. I saved them for Curtis and M to eat later).

I really enjoyed my sandwich--so much that I had two! In my defense, they were open faced (only one piece of bread). There won't be more sandwiches another day. :) I need to get more broccoli rabe or mustard greens before I can make more.

Greens and Cheese Sandwich (For one sandwich)
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 T of olive oil
1 c mustard greens, rinsed and finely chopped
1 piece of bread (I used a rustic sourdough, the recipe called for pumpernickel--I think any good artisanal bread woudl be great)
1/2 c smoked gouda, grated

Heat olive oil and garlic in a small bowl until they begin to sizzle. Add the mustard greens and cook, stirring frequently until the greens are limp and tender (about 3 minutes). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, lightly toast a piece of bread. Top with grated gouda and toast again briefly (either in a toaster oven or on the stove like you would a grilled cheese sandwich) to melt the gouda. When greens are done, put on top of the cheese (if the greens are hot, they will continue to melt the cheese). Eat hot. Try to eat only one. :)

No comments: