Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Beef Stew

I apologize for having no picture of this. I had thought I had already posted this recipe so I didn't take any pictures. We are moving in a week and I have been trying to clean out the freezer, at least a little bit, so I don't have as much to move. Tonight, I attacked our dwindling beef stash (which we need to restock with another quarter cow in April) and opened up the last package of boneless stew meat.

I was surprised with how tender the stew meat was. It cooked for a total of about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Everyone enjoyed the meal. M didn't pick anything out and had two bowls. There is just enough left for either Curtis and I to have a bowl for lunch tomorrow.

Beef Stew
1/2 c flour
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 - 2 pounds boneless stew meat, cut into 1" pieces
2 T olive oil
1/2 onion chopped
2 bay leaves
2 c water
1 celery stalk, chopped
juice of 1 lemon
2 medium potatoes, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 - 2 c green beans
1 -2 T Worcestershire sauce

Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Stir meat in flour. Heat olive oil in a medium soup pot and fry meat until brown on all sides, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Add onion, bay leaves, water, celery, and lemon juice. Heat to boiling. Cover and simmer 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Add remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling again and simmer 30 minutes more until vegetables and beef are tender.

At any point during cooking, add more water if stew seems to thick or dry.

No comments: