Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Greek Fish

I bought a beautiful bunch of dill fronds at the Farmer's Market last Saturday on a whim. Upon getting it home and in a cup on my counter (absolutely beautiful!!), I realized there is no way I could possibly use all that dill without making lots and lots of dill pickles (alas, there are no cucumbers in February). I searched for a recipe that would use at least little dill and adapted one to my liking.

For those of us who ate (J boycotted food tonight for some reason--let's blame it on being almost 2), it was a great hit. M ate an entire fillet plus a little more, as did Curtis and I. I served it over rice. As often happens, I realized as I was dishing the meal, that I had forgotten my vegetable so we had orange slices with dinner as well. M didn't eat the goat cheese (which she called cream) or onion slices, but that was fine with Curtis and I. We served it over a bed of rice. The picture is before the fish was cooked, sometimes it is easiest to take pictures before everyone is sitting at the table, ravenous.

Greek Fish
1 1/2 lb white fish fillets (tilapia is good)
1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
2 T dill fronds, chopped
2 - 3 T black olives, chopped
1/4 c (or up to as much as 1/2 c) goat cheese, crumbled
juice of one lemon

Lay fish in a 9 x 13 (or larger) lightly oiled baking pan. Layer sweet onion slices on top, followed by dill, black olives, and goat cheese. Sprinkle with lemon juice.

Bake in preheated 350 degrees oven for 20 - 30 minutes, depending on thickness of fish, until fish flakes with a fork.

No comments: