Thursday, February 5, 2009

Tuna Tostadas

As we were eating supper tonight, Curtis and I had a debate about whether or not our greens were arugula or mustard greens. We are still unsure. The greens were more bitter than usual, but I didn't mind them. They still could have been arugula though, because the bigger arugula grows, the more bitter they tend to get. Regardless of what kind of greens they were, they worked fine for the tuna tostadas we had for supper.

I must admit, I am a little bit at a loss about what to do with fresh tomatoes in February. Making some homemade Salsa Cruda seemed like the perfect use for the tomatoes. I was saddened while making it because I had to buy my cilantro at the store instead of walking out my front door and just trimming some. I fear it will be a little while before I get around to tearing out the old vine beds that we inherited with house and planting some herb gardens.

Curtis and I thought supper was great. The kids are getting and getting over a virus and neither had much of an appetite (an example, M turned down a second choc chip cookie we made this afternoon. That never happens!). Any fish will do with these, we just happened to have one remaining bag of tuna in our freezer that we discovered when we moved.

Tuna Tostadas
1/2 c vegetable oil
6 - 8 corn tortillas (6" across)
1 T ground cumin
1 T ground coriander
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 lb fish (tuna or catfish is recommended)
1 clove garlic, halved
2 T fresh lemon juice
3 c arugula

Salsa Cruda
1 - 2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 c cilantro, chopped
1/2 lime, juiced
jalapeno or hot pepper as desired (I omit entirely on the rare chance the little people may eat it)

Fry tortillas in hot vegetable oil. Drain on paper towels. Combine cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Rub each fish fillet with the cut side of the garlic clove and then with the spice mixture. Arrange on broiling pan or aluminum foil and sprinkle with lemon juice. Broil the fish 3 inches from heat for 5 - 10 minutes or until juices run clear. (For me, the easiest way to broil this is in my toaster oven---not toaster, but toaster oven.) Cut into chunks.

To make salsa, combine salsa ingredients. Adjust ingredients to taste. To serve tostadas, top tortilla with arugula, then fish, and then salsa.

No comments: