Monday, April 13, 2009

Kohlrabi Ham Bake

The kohlrabi had been accumulating in my refrigerator so I searched the web for kohlrabi recipes (epicurious let me down this time, I must admit). I found a recipe on SimplyRecipes (simplyrecipes.com) that used up all my kohlrabi and I had all ingredients on hand for. I was pleased that it used some of my leftover home for our Easter dinner. My mom (visiting/waiting to help with the homecoming of the new babe that is slow in coming) and Curtis liked it pretty well. M downed it no problem once she realized there would be no popsicle without eating it. J picked out all the ham and ate the kohlrabi only after he was sitting on Curtis's lap. Silly boy.

It was a good meal, especially with a side salad of mixed greens with sliced radishes on top. My only complaint is that the fat content for the meal was so high. I may experiment with it next time to reduce the fat. It was quite tasty though (with the cream and butter...).

Kohlrabi Ham Bake
3 T butter
4 medium- large kohlrabi, peeled and diced
8 oz thick ham, diced
2 T fresh parsley, chopped
3 egg yolks
1 c heavy cream
2 T flour
salt and black pepper, to taste

In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the diced kohlrabi and gently cook for 10 - 12 minutes (depending on how tender you want it). In a small separate bowl, beat the egg yolk. Whisk in the cream, flour, salt, and pepper until well combined. Place half of the cooked kohlrabi in the bottom of a 1 1/2 qt shallow casserole dish. Layer on the diced ham and parsley. Top with the remaining kohlrabi. Pour the sauce ingredients over the kohlrabi and ham. Bake in preheated 350 degrees oven for 30 - 35 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Serve immediately.

No comments: