Sunday, April 5, 2009

Meditteranean Orzo Salad and White Bean Soup


We had a church potluck today and I was determined to find a recipe to use some of the spinach that had been sitting in my refrigerator this week. I came across this salad recipe which is filling enough that we've eaten it as a main course in the past. It's a good recipe if you have some spinach, but not enough for spinach lasagna or another dish that requires a pound or more. We also had a wonderful cold front move in this morning so I decided some bean soup would be a good accompaniment for the leftover salad for supper this evening. I actually did make the beans from scratch this time, first time in a while I've done that, but I've also made the recipe using canned beans. M wouldn't touch the salad, no surprise there, but everyone ate the soup and seemed to enjoy it. I used the soup as an excuse to use the rest of my parsley from the CSA box as well and although the recipe didn't call for it, it was a nice flavor for the soup. For the soup recipe, click here.

Mediterranean Orzo Salad
1 c uncooked orzo
2 c spinach, chopped
1/2 c sun-dried tomato halves, softened**
3 T kalamata olives, chopped
1/2 t black pepper
6 -oz jar marinaded artichoke hearts
3/4 c feta cheese, crumbled

**To soften sun-dried tomatoes (if you are not using the oil packed kind), soak in boiling water for about 30 minutes.

Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water. Combine orzo, spinach, olives, and black pepper in a large bowl. Drain artichokes, reserving marinade. Coarsely chop artichokes and add artichokes, reserved marinade, and 1/2 c feta cheese to orzo mixture, tossing gently. Sprinkle with remaining feta cheese.

No comments: