Thursday, June 18, 2009

Summer Pasta with Sausage and Beans


I had a hankering for sausage the other night, but wanted something not too heavy. I also had hopes of using some of my 20 pounds of tomatoes. I found a recipe on epicurious I thought I could adapt to fit the bill.

We all enjoyed it. There were a couple of things I'll tweak for next time. For example, the original recipe called for a roasted head of garlic---I won't do that next time. It heats the kitchen up too much and I didn't really taste the roasted garlic flavor (so I'm also leaving that step out of the recipe I am including). Here's my version.

Summer Pasta with Sausage and Beans
adapted from Gourmet

2 T oil oil
1/2 pound sausage, halved and sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 c onions, thinly sliced
2 c fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 (15-oz) can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 c water
1/2 lb chunky pasta (I used farfalle)
1/4 c fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 c fresh basil, chopped
1/4 c Parmesan, grated

Heat oil in a large skillet over moderate heat until hot, but not smoking, then cook sausage until browned. Add garlic and onions and cook, stirring occasionally until onion is tender and lightly browned. Stir in beans and water. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until reduced in half, about 15 - 2o minutes.

Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente. Toss pasta with sausage mixture, tomatoes, parsley, and basil. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.

No comments: