Monday, December 15, 2008

Chocolate Crinkles

These are also sometimes called wagon wheels. I make my cookies small to stretch the recipes. Each cookie ends up being about 1 - 2 inches in diameter and the recipe makes 4 dozen cookies that size. This is a recipe that needs to be refrigerated a while before baking--at least one hour, but you wait over night or even several days (which is how it worked for me).

Chocolate Crinkles
1 3/4 c flour
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 c butter, at room temperature (if not at room temperature, beat rock hard butter in a mixer until it is soft and creamy)
1 1/4 c sugar
2 T light corn syrup
2 squares (2 oz) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
2 eggs
2 t vanilla

1/2 c confectioners' sugar

In a small bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a large separate bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter, sugar, and corn syrup until well combined. Reduce speed to low and beat in chocolate, eggs, and vanilla until well blended. Beat in flour mixture until combined. Cover dough and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Shape dough into 1 - 2" balls (I did the smaller size) and roll in confectioners sugar (this is also a great part to have a kids help with. M did an awesome job of rolling the cookies in the sugar and I could keep my fingers a little cleaner). Place cookies 1 " apart on a cookie sheet. Bake until set in preheated 350 degrees oven, about 8 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my heavens. Did I mention that cookies help my creative side - especially when choosing paint colors?? ...I'm just sayin'