Monday, December 15, 2008

Molasses Sugar Cookies


This recipe is from my Southern aunt. I only started making these for Curtis because I really don't like molasses. This year though, when hot out of the oven, even I couldn't resist them. They may just be changing my mind about molasses. The spices used give these cookies a taste similar to gingersnaps. This recipe should also chill, 2 hours or longer, before baking. This recipe makes 4 dozen smallish cookies.

Molasses Sugar Cookies
3/4 c butter, at room temperature
1 c sugar
1/4 c molasses
1 egg
2 c flour
2 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t cloves (opt--I omit because Curtis isn't a big cloves fan)
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t salt

Cream together butter and sugar. Add the molasses and egg, beat well. Combine (ideal would be to sift, but I sure don't do that!) in a separate bowl flour, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and salt. Add to first mixture. Mix well and chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Form 1" balls, roll in granulated sugar, and place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake in a preheated 375 oven for 8 - 10 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your blog is making me gain weight.