Monday, November 3, 2008

Cashew Chicken and Bok Choy Salad

I was happy to remember I had chicken breasts in the freezer this evening. I was having a hard time coming up with what's for dinner until I realized chicken stir fry was an option. I thawed 1 lb of chicken and then cut it into small pieces. I stir fried it in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil for a few minutes (don't cook the chicken all the way yet). I added 1/2 large onion cut into 1/2 inch wedges, 1 sliced green pepper, 2 cloves minced garlic, and 2 t grated fresh ginger root (1/2 t ground ginger) and stir-fried everything until the chicken was cooked and the onions were crisp-tender. Then I added the seasonings: 4 t soy sauce, 1/2 t ground coriander, 2 t fish sauce, 3 T water, 1 T lemon juice, and 1/2 t ground cumin. I stir fried for just a minute more before stirring in 1/2 c of unsalted, roasted cashews. I served immediately over rice and with the wonderful bok choy salad on the side.

Everyone ate this well. I was quite pleased because M even ate the bell peppers--I think that is the first time that has happened. Unfortunately, the cashews were a little freezer burnt from being in my freezer too long. It was still good, I just didn't eat the cashews.

No comments: