Sunday, November 16, 2008

Scrambled Eggs with Kale and Raspberry Chipotle Sauce and Broccoli Salad

I was feeling like we were a little bit stuck in a rut and did a close repeat of egg fu yung omelet tonight. Being inundated with greens has caused me to get a little more motivated to find ways to use the likes of kale, bok choy, and mizuna (not your normal salad greens here!). Tonight I adapted a vegan recipe that used tofu for a recipe that also addressed my massive amount of eggs (I am down to only 13!!! after having about 28 or so on Wednesday!).

I started by making the broccoli salad. I chopped into very small florets enough broccoli to equal 3 cups. I wish I could have added 1 c raisins, but the dried fruit monsters at my house had finished the raisins sometime. I also fried and crumbled 5 slices of bacon which I added to the broccoli along with 1/3 c sunflower seeds (or you can also use 1/3 c chopped peanuts). I drained most of the fat out of the bacon skillet, but left just a little for my scrambled eggs. Then I set the broccoli and other ingredients aside to make the dressing. For the dressing, I mixed 3/4 c mayo (or you could use plain yogurt for something slightly healthier), 2 T sugar and 1 T apple cider vinegar. I poured everything over the broccoli mixture and stirred together.

For the scrambled eggs, I sauteed the 1 c chopped onions in the leftover bacon fat for a couple of minutes or until they began to soften. I added 2 chopped garlic cloves and cooked for another minute. I stirred in 3 c chopped kale, covered, and steamed until the greens began to wilt. While the greens wilted, I mixed together 5 eggs and 1 T soy sauce. I uncovered the skillet once the greens were ready and poured the eggs into the greens. I stirred to scramble the whole thing. That's it. I served with some Raspberry Chipotle Sauce I found in the refrigerator. (If you were curious, the original recipe called for no leftover bacon fat and 1 cake firm tofu instead of eggs).

We also had some Texas orange slices with the meal as well. Curtis and I thought it was great. M wouldn't touch anything between not eating the kale with the eggs and not liking mayonnaise on her broccoli. She did eat orange slices. J ate the scrambled eggs and kale and orange slices. I love the broccoli salad, it's the only way I will eat raw broccoli. After much tears and crying, Curtis and I caved and washed some broccoli salad off for M. Then she ate broccoli (and the bacon) just fine. Go figure. Next time, I'll put some plain broccoli aside for M to avoid all the tears. I guess I shouldn't complain that she doesn't like mayo.

No comments: