Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Poultry Pasta Primavera


I was excited to cook with broccoli and decided I could buy a couple of carrots to use for the recipe (even though they aren't quite in season here yet).

To make this I cooked 1/2 lb capellini pasta along with 2 c broccoli florets, 1 c julienned carrots (cut into little matchstick shapes), 1/2 c sliced red bell pepper, and 1/2 c chopped sweet onion in a pot of boiling water. I cooked the pasta and vegetables (all together) for 5 minutes or until the pasta was al dente and the vegetables crisp tender. (If you use different pasta that cooks longer than 5 minutes, just add the vegetables for the last five minutes of cooking time). Drain and set aside.

In a large frying pan, I sauted 1 clove minced garlic, 2 T fresh chopped parsley, 1/2 t dried basil, 1 1/2 t fresh chopped oregano (1/2 t dried) in 1 T olive oil. I added 2 T flour and stirred briefly. I then added 1 c milk and stirred constantly until thickened (it didn't take long because I used a pretty large pan and had the stove on medium). I added 1 c chopped cooked chicken (you could also use turkey which would make this a nice post Thanksgiving meal) and cooked until heated through. Then I added 1/2 c cream cheese and 1/4 c Parmesan cheese and heated, but did not boil. The most difficult part of the whole preparation was mixing the white sauce over top of the pasta and vegetables.

The family liked it. I ate out with friends so I tasted it, but didn't eat much (I'll eat it Wednesday for lunch). I think it could have used a little more seasonings, probably more parsley and some salt and pepper. J ate it very well, M decided that she didn't want to eat broccoli (which was strange because until yesterday that was her favorite vegetable), but she liked the pasta and chicken. Curtis thought it was great.

No comments: