Monday, September 15, 2008

Butternut Squash Risotta

It was our first cool fall day today. I decided that there was nothing like butternut squash to celebrate fall. I needed to look for a recipe though that didn't have too many other "fall" type vegetables, since I didn't have any of those. I found a risotto recipe that looked good.

I had never made risotto before, so I was a little nervous. One of my friends told me last week she had tried a similar recipe which was really good, so I decided to go for it. The recipe was from the October issue of Bon Appetit (I can't find the recipe online...). A brief description...I peeled and removed the seeds from 1 lb of butternut squash. I sauteed that in some butter and sprinkled it with a little brown sugar, salt and pepper. I made the risotto using beef and chicken broth, fresh thyme, onions and bacon, gradually adding the broth and stirring a lot. The recipe called for shallots, which I substituted with a less amount of regular onions. It also called for sage, but again, I had none and I didn't really miss it. The risotto was not lacking in flavor. That's the really short version. If you want the whole recipe let me know...it's pretty long.

Overall the dish turned out great! Curtis, J, and I loved. M wouldn't touch it. However she did eat the butter beans that I seasoned with a chicken bouillon cube, as did Curtis and J. The risotto wasn't as much work as I was worried about. I stirred for a little, then went to check on the kids playing in the backyard. I did that repeatedly.

2 comments:

Kara said...

Yay, risotto!

Melani said...

Yeah--thanks for encouraging me to do that Kara! :)