Friday, September 12, 2008

What I am Going to Do with Myself When the Cool Front Comes...

I am excited for cooler weather next week. It means the seasonal produce will be changing before too long. For me, it means time to finish weeding the garden, buying transplants, and planting seeds in our little 12 x 12 foot patch. I hope to transplant broccoli this year and plant seeds for leeks, carrots, spinach, and arugula. Mmmm....

If you don't have a garden, it is the perfect time to start, because the fall/winter is my favorite growing season of the year (especially after summer, in March, my opinion may have changed).

My friend, Kate, e-mailed me this great link to the Sustainable Food Center with a sample garden layout plan. The emphasis is how to get the most seeds in a small space my planting things together instead of in straight rows. (The small boxes are 1 square foot, the large boxes are 2 square feet). Curtis was really excited to see this...he is dreaming about peas. I think that can be his project.Our garden won't look exactly like this, we are working around 2 -3 of our existing tomato plants which will continue to produce until our first freeze in November-ish. We will also skip some of the greens and the cabbage...probably 4 broccoli plants, no radishes with more carrots in their place. We'll see how it goes!

Another great resource about how to get a garden started without a lot of digging was an article in this quarter's Edible Austin (you pick it up at Whole Foods/Central Market/any Austin Farmer's Market/and a bunch of other places. Unfortunately, the article isn't published online). The garden featured was a raised bed which had more cost than a start-up garden, but like I said earlier, a lot less digging.

If you are not ready to tackle a garden, flower beds are also good options. My arugula is going in a flower bed. For arugula and other greens, all you need is a bed with full sun. I just scrape a 1/2 inch of dirt off the top and sprinkle the seeds haphazardly. It grows like a bunch of tasty weeds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You read my mind. I was just thinking for planting some herbs and other easily maintained produce in my yard but don't know the first thing about gardening. So far, I've been able to grow and not kill thyme. baby steps.

Anonymous said...

Where do you buy your seeds? Do you do organic?

Melani said...

I get them at Callahan's on 183 just S of the River. They have some organic seeds there. I'll also pick some up at Central Market if they have ones I want...pretty much anywhere. I tend to just go with organic seeds though, and heirloom when I have the option.