Monday, September 22, 2008

Mexican Stuffed Peppers

I knew M wouldn't eat the stuffed peppers tonight (they had beans), so I was sure to have rice and lima beans as well.  Curtis and I thought they were great and J even ate some.  M, as expected, informed us she doesn't like beans and ate just rice and lots of lima beans.

Here's how I made them.  I cut the tops off of 4 bell peppers (I actually used 5 because they were really small!) and took the seeds out.  I steamed the peppers in 1 inch of boiling water for 5 minutes, until they were tender.  While the peppers were steaming, I started the filling.  I sauted about 1/2 c onion and 2 cloves garlic in olive oil.  I added 2 chopped tomatoes (from my garden no less---I kept them alive all summer and now they are starting produce tomatoes again), 2 T fresh parsley, 1 T fresh oregano, 1 t ground cumin, 1 bay leaf and 1/2 t salt and sauteed it for 5 minutes.  I then added 1 1/2 c (1 15-oz can) of black beans.  The original recipe also called for 2 c corn, but I am not a corn fan at all, so I always just leave that out.  Then simmer for 10 minutes.  Put the peppers in an oven proof dish so they will stand upright.  Stuff the peppers with the black bean mixture and top with shredded Parmesan cheese and bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 350 degrees oven.  I started cooking the rice when I started simmering the black beans.  They were done at the same time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of these days you are going to be standing in your kitchen and see my head pop up in your window. :)

Melani said...

Good--then I'll put you to work, like last night when M was seriously antagonizing J....chasing him around the house with the dr. kit pretend blood pressure cuff, screaming at him to be still so she could be the dr. As if one dr's visit (for 18 mo check up) in a day wasn't enough! You can be M's patient!! :)