Wednesday, September 10, 2008

In the CSA box today

We pick up our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box from Johnson's Backyard Garden on Wednesdays. In other times of the year, when I haven't been eating summer squash for 4 months, we plan our weekly meals around what's in the box. By September, I am usually just trying to figure out what to do with same veggies we've been eating for months.

In this week's box:

3 cucumbers (which M eats for snacks)
a bunch of little hot peppers (which, I hate to admit, always is good compost food)
a watermelon (which was going to be snack today, but alas, upon splitting it open I discovered it had gone bad)
several Japanese eggplant
one small Bianca Rosa (or something like that, they're my favorite eggplants) eggplant
one carnival squash (which I am told you use like pumpkin or butternut squash)
several green and purple bell peppers
a bunch of basil
two bulbs of garlic
a dozen eggs
a quart bag (almost full) of colored butter beans. Last time I got these, I thought they would be like the lima beans my parents grow. Those are sweet and tender. Not so, I definitely need to season (with bacon or ham) these and cook for a long, long time.

Most things go in the refrigerator. Some exceptions: Carnival Squash goes in a dark cabinet to age. Most winter squash are better if they have been let sit for a month or so. The basil goes in a small cup of water on the counter (like cut flowers). The eggplant and garlic also get stored on the counter. We'll probably have the eggplant tomorrow night for supper so they don't go bad. Eggplants don't like the refrigerator though.

Missing from my list--okra and summer squash. Woohoo! The end may be in sight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I signed up for the Johnson's wait list today. :)