Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday's Food

Sunday also has a set of traditions (not unlike Saturday, except that I agree to cooking on Sunday). Sunday is the one morning we sit down together for breakfast. Usually I make batter for pancakes or waffles and Curtis cooks them. M loves helping Curtis cook them. On my more ambitious mornings, I'll make coffee cake or biscuit sticky buns. Today we made waffles, using some of our sour milk that had been hiding in the back of the fridge.

For lunch, it was leftovers...normal Sunday lunch fare because by the time we are home from church we are cutting into kids nap times.

For suppers, I'll cook. Today was a zucchini frittata. Very easy, I managed to make oatmeal brownies (not nearly as healthy as they sound) while I made the frittata. For the frittata, I cooked 1/4 c brown rice. Once that was cooked, I sauted onion slices in olive oil until they were browned, then threw in 1 1/2 c zucchini (leftover for 2 weeks ago in my CSA box). I shredded the zucchini. The recipe called for half moon slices, but I really couldn't stand to even acknowledge that zucchini was in my food by seeing slices. Shredding it worked just fine. Once that was cooked, I removed it from heat and stirred in 1 T fresh mint and the cooked (3/4 c) brown rice. In a little bowl, I whisked 4 eggs and then added 1/4 c crumbled feta cheese. I mixed everything together. I cleaned out the 10 inch black skillet I used to saute the onions, added some more olive oil and heated it. Once the oil was hot, I dumped in the mixture and cooked it, uncovered until the eggs looked almost cooked, then I lowered the heat, covered it, and cooked it until the eggs were done.

Curtis, J, and I loved it. M wasn't too sure. She was holding out for the brownies. However, she was told if she didn't eat her eggs, there would be no brownies. She ate her slice, picking out all the onions meticulously, without much ado.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some left over gruyere...so you think I could sub the feta with swiss?

Melani said...

Yes. Maybe add a little more because the gruyere isn't as strong as feta.