Wednesday, September 24, 2008

In the CSA box today

I need to start by confessing that I wasn't terribly enamored by our box of veggies this week.  In the newsletter, the farm said we would be getting one mystery vegetable--arugula, sweet potatoes, or butter beans.  Since early Tuesday morning, I was planning what I would make with arugula or sweet potatoes...exotic recipes I hadn't had since last April or May.  I could barely wait to pick up my box.

Butter beans.  That was my mystery vegetable.  Ugh.  M made me feel a little better about it because as she was helping me unload the veggies into the fridge her response was "Yay!  Lima beans!"  Curtis was also pleased to see them, so I guess I will just make the best of the butter beans and wait another week for some wonderful cool weather vegetable.

Also in our box were more of the summer veggies:
3 tomatoes (yay!)
4 cucumbers
3 light purple eggplant---they are beautiful!
1 white eggplant
1 Japanese eggplant
2 traditional/typical small eggplant
2 yellow squash
1 small acorn squash
the above bemoaned bag of butter beans
a bag of basil
one dozen eggs
many small bell peppers

I left the okra and the hot peppers in the trade box.  I hope someone else can use them because at our house, they end up in the compost

My menu for the week stands.  You may notice I very rarely talk about the cucumbers in my cooking.  Other than a few cucumber salads and pickles, I don't use cucumbers in recipes.  We (meaning Curtis and M) primarily eat them raw.  M already picked out the smallest cucumber we got, put it in a bag, and said that was her cucumber for her airplane trip on Friday.

No comments: