Monday, September 29, 2008

Grilled Vegetables on Penne

This is a great recipe when you have a bunch of grillable veggies. The combination doesn't really matter. Tonight we used a three eggplants, 2 bell peppers, a zucchini, 6 mushrooms, and 1/4 onion. I sliced the eggplants and zucchini, cut the mushrooms and bell peppers into chunks, and cut the onions into small wedges. I mixed all but the mushrooms together in a bowl. In a small separate bowl I combine 3 T fresh chopped basil, 1 t fresh chopped thyme, 1 T olive oil, 1/2 t sea salt (kosher salt or regular salt would also work), and 3 cloves of minced garlic. I dumped that on top of the mixed veggies and tossed to combine. I had heated up the grill and grilled all the veggies (except mushrooms) for around 8 minutes in a grill basket, stirring a couple of times. At the end of the 8 minutes, I threw the mushrooms in and grilled for another 4 or 5 minutes (or until the mushrooms released their juices).

To serve, I put the veggies on top of the penne pasta (although any chunky pasta would work--that's just what I had in my pantry). I drizzled a little olive oil on top and then grated some fresh grana padano (or parmesan type cheese) on top. Mmmm. I ate all but the zucchini which I traded with M who only ate the mushrooms and zucchini. J is continuing his supper boycott (not worried since he does not look like an underfed child). Curtis loved it and is taking leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Pretty much any veggies will work. I've also used new potatoes, carrots, and sweet potatoes when I've had those on hand. For carrots and potatoes, boil them for 5 - 10 minutes before grilling (just until they start to soften). Another option would be to skewer the veggies and make kabobs or to roast in a preheated 425 oven for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

No comments: