Friday, September 26, 2008

Egg Salad Wraps

I went ahead and made egg salad yesterday for my picnic lunch (M and J were more inclined to their classic PB & J). Now I am wondering how I am going to eat an 8 egg salad all by myself before it goes bad. Therefore, it was decided today, by me, that egg salad is what's for dinner. If I am remembering correctly J likes it pretty well. I am out of bread so, instead we are going all fancy with egg salad wraps (translated: egg salad wrapped up in a briefly warmed whole wheat tortilla). It will do for me and J usually doesn't eat much for dinner anyway. His big meal tends to be lunch and he tends to eat in 5 minutes or less at supper time.

The egg salad is one of my old standbys. I bring 8 eggs to boil, lower the heat and simmer, covered for 10 minutes. When the eggs are down, I immediately submerge them in cold water to stop the cooking and then peel them. A secret about peeling eggs--use the oldest eggs you have first. They peel easier than very fresh eggs. Once they are all peeled, I mash them with a pastry blender/potato masher (or a fork would work too). I then mix the eggs with 1/3 c mayo, 1 clove of minced garlic, 1/4 c diced red bell pepper (this I sometimes omit), 3 T fresh chopped basil, 2 T roasted pine nuts, 1/4 c diced celery (again, sometimes, like this time, omitted), 1 t red wine vinegar, 1/2 t salt, and black pepper to taste. I stir it just enough to combine everything. That's it. I love it for lunch sandwiches (or wraps) and it's great if I need to feed more than just me. I guess I'll be eating lots of egg salad this weekend!

No comments: