Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Pepperoni and Mushroom Pizza

Pizza is one of my old standby's.  When I am unsure what to eat, I scavenge through the refrigerator for whatever I can find and throw it on top of the pizza.  Tonight was particularly scarce.  I found 12 pepperonis in the freezer (I ended up with 11 because M ate one), cheddar cheese, and mushrooms.  If was I motivated or creative tonight, I could have made fresh pesto (or even just chopped basil) to go on top.  But, I was neither so I looked for things that were already made.  

I started the crust around 4:00 which would let the pizza be finished between 5:30- 6:00 (our normal supper time).  To make the crust, I dissolved 1 T yeast in 1 cup of warm water and let it stand for 5 minutes.  At that point, I mixed in 1 T sugar, 1/2 t salt,  2 T oil, and and 1 1/4 c flour.  I beat it until it was smooth.  I added 2 more cups of flour and kneaded the dough for 5 minutes until it felt smooth (as smooth as a baby's behind--really!).  Then I sat it in front of the oven vent (we have a gas range/oven), preheated the oven to 250, and turned the oven off after about 5 minutes.  I preheated the oven just to create a little extra heat to help the dough rise.  I let it rise for 45 minutes, until it was doubled in size.

I rolled the dough out onto a cookie sheet (technically a jelly roll pan).  I prefer the cookie sheet over a round pie pan because it makes a bigger pizza and has a slightly thinner crust.  After I rolled out the crust, I let the crust sit for 10 minutes, during which time I preheated the oven to 450, and prepared the toppings.  

For the toppings I opened a jar of pasta sauce I canned earlier this summer.  I spread about 1 c over the top of the pizza.  I pulled the 12 pepperonis out of the freezer and tried (unsuccessfully) to fend M off of eating them.  I sliced the mushrooms and grated the cheddar cheese and threw everything on top of the pizza.  I baked the pizza for 15 minutes.  Once it was done, I let it stand for 5 minutes to let everything firm up a little.

Every time the pizza comes out differently.  I have 3 crust recipes I use rather frequently--a whole wheat one (from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.  I just cut the recipe in half), the basic one from above, and one that is lightly seasoned with garlic and parmesan.  Last summer (not as much this summer, for some reason), I would make grilled vegetables on one night and a couple nights later throw the leftover grilled vegetables on top of the pizza.  If I would have made the pizza tomorrow, I could have done a Greek pizza with goat cheese (in the fridge) and grilled eggplant out of our CSA box.  Endless opportunities!  Tonight, though, I aimed for easy and simple....classic pepperoni and mushrooms.  Everyone loved it.

3 comments:

Kara said...

I love making pizza at home, too. I use the "pizza dough" setting on my bread machine and it is as easy as ordering delivery!

Anonymous said...

Do yall have a good pizza sauce recipe you would like to share?

Melani said...

I use the Pizza Sauce for Canning out of Simply in Season. You could whittle it down to managable easier amounts than 12 pounds of tomatoes. I'll post it sometime.... :)