Monday, September 22, 2008

Menu and Grocery List

Monday- Mexican Stuffed Peppers and Lima Beans
Tuesday- Mushroom Pizza (and whatever else I can find to throw on top of it)
Wednesday- Church pictures followed by a kids eat free dinner at a local restaurant
Thursday- Grilled Summer Vegetables and pasta
Friday and Saturday - Curtis and M will be out of town. I suspect J and I will do a lot of scavenging and not a terrible amount of cooking. We'll see. I am leaving those days open.
Sunday- Quesadillas with Gazpacho Salsa

Plus, sometime during the week this week, I would like to make egg salad and squash rolls. Trying to use a dozen eggs every week is daunting. I think next time I subscribe to my CSA I will just get eggs every other week.

The corresponding grocery list:

Cumin
Organic butter
Organic capellini (skinny spaghetti which we like better than spaghetti)
Whole and Skim Milk
YoBaby Yogurt
Organic cilantro
Grana Padano cheese (like Parmegiano Regiano cheese, but from a slightly different region of Italy and cheaper)
Smoked Paprika
Cremini Mushrooms (grown locally, Cremini mushrooms are baby portabellas---a fun fact, portabellas used to just be thrown out. People thought they were too large to eat.)
Lemons

I always buy my spices in bulk. I've learned they are a lot cheaper this way and they stay fresh longer than the one size fits all jar I used to buy in the store. For example, my cumin cost only 30¢, the smoked paprika 26¢--I bought maybe 2 T worth, more than I'll use before it starts losing it flavor. If you buy the spices in a jar, you are paying for the jar and not the spice. With the exception of saffron and a few other spices, spices tend to be very inexpensive because you don't need much at a time.

No comments: