Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Substitute Dinner

Yesterday's CSA box influenced me to change tonight dinner plans.  I am glad I did.  I did have to make a short stop at the grocery store to accommodate the change of plans (and new batch of Baba Ganoush).  I picked up:  tahini, ramen noodles (yeah, I know processed food), rye flour, lemons and evaporated milk.

Tonight's dinner?  Tomato Quiche and a Bok Choy Salad.  The tomato quiche was a little more time intensive than some meals, but I gave a lot of time to make it so I could deal with whatever kid incidents occurred in the process.

I made my own pie crust for the quiche.  This took a little more time, but pie crusts are one of those things that after you make a few times go quite quickly.  I use a very basic pie crust recipe (for 9" pie pan).  I use 1 c of flour.  I cut 1/3 c butter into small pieces and then use a pastry cutter to mix with the flour (and then my fingers when I get impatient with the pastry cutter).  Once the butter is pea size, I add 2 T of water, a little at a time to the mixture until I can form a ball with my hands.  You can add more water if you need it, but the less water you use, the flakier the pie crust.  I transfered the crust to a 9" pie pan and then baked in a  preheated 375 degree oven for 10 minutes.

The filling was easier.  I spread 2 c of diced tomatoes on the baked pie crust.  I sprinkled 1 T basil on top, plus 1 t salt, a little pepper, and 1/2 t of sugar.  On top of the tomatoes, I spread 1 c of cheese (I used a white and yellow cheddar combo, the recipe called for a Swiss cheese and cheddar mix).  In a separate bowl, I mixed together 1 c evaporated milk, 2 eggs, and 2 T flour.  I poured that on top of the cheese and baked at in a preheated 452 degree oven for 30 minutes (or until the eggs are set).

I made the bok choy salad while the quiche baked.  I diced 2 small heads of bok choy (I don't like using the stems when I make salad, but you can try and see if you like them.  In cooked recipes they are quite good).  I toasted 2 T sesame seeds and 1/2 c slivered almonds in a small pan on the stove (just until they smelled really fragrant).  I mixed the nuts/seeds with a package of ramen (uncooked and broken up).  I put about half of the ramen mixture on the bok choy.  For the dressing, I mixed together 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil, 1 T soy sauce and 2 T lemon juice.  I served the dressing on the side.

Family review of the meal?  Everyone liked the quiche (M wouldn't eat the crust, but she is currently on a "I don't like crusts" kick).  Curtis and I enjoyed the salad (and ate it all up!).

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I just love that you created this. My fam (more specifically Chris) isn't into most veggies though. :( Just learning different techniques for cooking or homemade goodies is very cool to me.

Melani said...

I am lucky, Curtis was a vegetarian for years so he doesn't mind meatless meals at all (in fact, he would prefer that the majority of our meals are meatless).

Biz said...

OK so I'm in love with the Bok Choy Salad. Kevin as well. I used sesame stix instead of toasting sesames b/c I am lazy. Also, b/c our ghetto HEB had no sesames. That place is a zoo. Mel I love this blog. It is inspiring. Love it!!! Cheers, Biz