Wednesday, September 17, 2008

In the CSA box today

The box today was so terribly exciting! We got the first of fall greens! Yippee!! Baby bok choy. I am dreaming of bok choy salad and beef and bok choy stir fry. Mmm....I can't wait. Summer may finally be coming to an end. Also in the box this week:

2 yellow summer squash
okra (oh, what to do with okra????)
a bag of basil
a bunch of hot peppers that I left in the trade box
2 typical looking eggplants
4 small light purple eggplant
2 white eggplant (I took a few of the light purple ones from the trade box)
the fore mentioned bok choy
a butternut squash (another big yippee!!)
3 tomatoes
several bell peppers
3 cucumbers
a dozen eggs
a quart bag of green butter beans
plus a bonus honey dew melon (I happened to run into Brent, the farmer, while I was picking up my box at the farm. He said he was walking to the field for some melons and wondered if I wanted one. I wasn't going to turn that down. Madeleine enjoyed 2 large slices for snack this afternoon).

The only things that didn't go in the fridge were the butternut squash, eggplant, tomatoes, and basil. All the rest went straight in the the crisper drawer in plastic bags (I know, not super earth friendly, but they are bags I've reused--some many, many times).

I believe tomorrow morning will be spent making some more baba ganoush (and totally unrelated, granola). I am eager to change tomorrow night's meal of spaghetti squash with pasta sauce to either stuffed bell peppers with bok choy salad or bok choy and beef stirfry. I am so excited! We used 4 eggplants this evening for grilled eggplants with goat cheese. I didn't like the white ones as well as the light purple or long, thin Japanese eggplant cooked that way.

2 comments:

Kate G. said...

Chop up the okra and freeze it and add to soups this winter.Great thickener and you'll have not eaten the okra in months. Or give Kate your okra and she'll eat it :)

Melani said...

Seeing as I still have okra in my freezer from last summer, giving it away is probably the best option! I still am burnt out on okra from last summer.