Friday, September 12, 2008

Fusilli with Salsa Arrabiatta

This was another very easy meal--less than 1 hour to make (it could have been a whole lot shorter if I wasn't moving so slowly tonight).  I boiled water for pasta and at the same time, heated olive oil in a large skillet.  I sauted onion wedges, 3 bay leaves, and 3 oz prosciutto in the oil until I had the tomatoes ready to go in (about 5- 10 minutes, like I said, I was moving slowly).  I added what should have been (but wasn't) 4 c chopped fresh tomatoes, that I squeezed the juice out of in a bowl.  I added the tomatoes and 1 c of the boiling pasta water to the onions.  I simmered that for as long as it took the fusilli to cook.  Once the fusilli was done, I drained it and then combined everything in the pasta pot before serving in a pasta dish.

I left out the arrabiatta part of the name (if I am remembering correctly, arrabiatta means angry in Italian).  The recipe also called for sliced pepperoncini peppers (the same from the hamburgers from yesterday).  Curtis and I chopped and added our own to our pasta.

The nice thing about cooking with prosciutto or bacon is that a little goes a long way.  It's easy to get a big bang for your buck  (how many cliches can I use).  Proscuitto is very expensive by the pound, but 3 oz will add lots of flavor to anything that needs a little extra something.

Since I was moving so slowly (and rather uninspired), we ate leftover cucumber slices and leftover vegetables from when the in-laws were here.   That was more than enough.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Mmmmm this sounds very tasty!