Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Brussel Sprouts Gratin

As a relative newcomer to brussel sprouts, I am still a little unsure at time. I've found a recipe or two that I love, but branching out leaves me a little hesitant. I found this recipe in Fresh from Garden and I figured I couldn't go wrong with a cream sauce and lots of cheese.

I was right. I didn't love the Brussels sprouts, but I loved!! everything else about it. Curtis thought it was tasty. We managed to get M to try it, but weren't surprised when she didn't like it, especially she wanted a Brussels sprout without the cream (that's the best part!). Now I have another Brussels sprouts recipe in my arsenal. It's more expensive and unhealthy than the roasted Brussels sprouts I love because of all the cheese. However, it doesn't involve having to find fresh rosemary somewhere (grow little herbs! Grow!).

Brussels Sprouts Gratin
1 1 /2 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed (and removed from stalk)
4 T unsalted butter
1 1/4 c heavy cream
1/4 lb fontina cheese, cut into 1/2" dice
4 T mild goat cheese, crumbled

Simmer Brussels sprouts in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water for 10 - 12 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and cut in half through the root end. Place in bottom of 6 c baking (preferably oval gratin, but I didn't have one) and set aside. Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add the cream and simmer until reduced to 3/4 c, stirring occasionally. Pour over the Brussels sprouts. Sprinkle with fontina and goat cheese. Bake in preheated 350 degrees oven for 15 minutes. Raise the oven temperature to 425 and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cream is absorbed by the sprouts and the top is nicely browned. Serve hot.

No comments: