Saturday, March 28, 2009

Fish Tacos

I finally did it! After years of unsuccessfully trying to fry foods, I finally achieved success. I discovered the key was finding a recipe that told me exactly how hot to heat the oil. With that information, frying wasn't a problem!

I had been searching for ways to use my cabbage that had been collecting in the fridge. Although the recipe called for red cabbage, I decided that my regular white cabbage would suffice. I must say, I would prefer the fish tacos without the cabbage. I think part of the problem was the sauce for the tacos. It wasn't anywhere nearly as good as the sauce on El Chilito's fish tacos (my fave fish tacos in town). I think if I could find the right recipe for sauce and cabbage I would be happier with the tacos. The kids loved the fish and tortillas, not so much the cabbage. Curtis loved the whole taco. As for me, I was just so proud of finally successfully frying something, the taste didn't matter as much. The fish was really good though, the sauce just needs some work (which was what most of the reviews on epicurious said as well). Prep wasn't very difficult, the most time consuming part was frying the fish.


January, 2012.  I am editing this because I think I may have figured out the secret to the cabbage!  :)

Fish Tacos
1/4 c mayo
2 T ketchup
1/4 c crema mexicana (sour cream or plain yogurt will work too)

1 c flour
1 t fine sea salt
1/2 t ground black pepper
1 c dark beer, at room temperature

1 1/2 lbs halibut or other white fish, cut in to 5 x 3/4" strips
1 lime, halved crosswise

6 - 8 flour tortillas

a recipe of Mexican Slaw
lime wedges
bottle hot sauce (Chipotle Tabasco or Chalula are our favorites)

Mix together mayo, ketchup, and crema mexicana, season with salt and pepper and set aside.

Whisk together flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Pour in beer, whisking until batter is smooth. Let stand 15 minutes. Meanwhile, sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Squeeze some lemon juice over each strip. Let stand 15 minutes.

While the fish and beer batter is standing, begin to preheat vegetable oil in a medium skillet (enough oil to reach a depth of 1 inch). Attach a deep-fry or candy thermometer and heat oil to 350.

Mix fish into batter (I did 1/2 the fish at a time so the fish wouldn't fall apart from too vigorously stirring). Slide 4 fish strips into oil. Fry until golden, about 3 - 4 minutes. Transfer fish to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet and place in preheated 200 degree oven to keep warm.

While fish is frying, prepare tortillas as desired. I heated each briefly on a comal (a round, flat, low sided black skillet) and covered with a dish towel to keep warm until it was time to eat.

To serve, fill each tortilla with 1 - 2 fish strips. Top with sauce, cabbage, squeeze of lime, and dash of hot sauce.

No comments: