Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Spinach (Chard) Cheese Burritos

Like I said yesterday, I use spinach and (Swiss) chard interchangeably. Sometimes this works better than others. They do have two distinct tastes. I think spinach has a less distinct, milder taste, but that could be because I am more used to the spinach than chard.

I used chard in this recipe, just because that was what I had on hand. I prefer this recipe with spinach, but the chard worked fine. We ate this with the Brussels Sprouts Gratin (which I now realize was a lot of cheese for supper!). I liked it ok, but Curtis thought it was really good (he is so easy to cook for--thank goodness! I think I prefer to be the picky eater). M ate just the tortilla, but she was in a picky eater mood. J ate several bites really well and then was done. Salsa goes well on top.

Spinach (Chard) Cheese Burritos
1 bunch scallions, chopped (or 1/2 a sweet onion, chopped)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T vegetable oil
10 oz spinach, chopped (if using chard, remove long stems at bottom)
1 t ground coriander
generous pinch of nutmeg (optional)
3 c cheddar cheese, grated
3 oz (1/3 c) cream cheese
4 burrito sized flour tortillas or 6 - 8 taco sized tortillas
salsa

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the scallions and garlic in oil for 2 - 3 minutes or until scallions are tender. Add the spinach and cook until the leaves are wilted and the water has been evaporated. Stir in the coriander, nutmeg, cheese, and cream cheese. Soften tortillas so they won't crack by microwaving 2 - 4 at a time for 10 - 15 seconds. Place 1/4 of the filling in each burrito sized tortilla (or 1/2 c filling on taco sized tortilla). Fold the bottom up and the side in to encase the filling. Roll up and place seam-side down in prepared 9 x 9" baking pan. Repeat for remaining tortillas. Cover with a damp dish cloth and then with foil. Bake until hot in preheated 375 oven for 20 - 25 minutes. Serve topped with salsa.

No comments: