Monday, March 9, 2009

Swiss Chard Tart

Sometimes, I cook a meal and realize how much my cooking has changed in the past 2 years. Once upon a time (in fact the first several times I made this recipe), I thought about it as time intensive and hard. When I made it Sunday night for supper, I was amazed at how little prep time the whole thing took and how relatively easy it was. The one suggestion I would give is to remember to take out the puff pastry dough before you start making the tart. It takes 40 minutes to thaw and preparing the filling will not take 40 minutes. Overall the family loved it. J ate the filling without a fuss, even seemed to enjoy it (green leafy things still scare my kids...). M needed some coercion, but ate the filling so she could have more of the puff pastry. Curtis and I loved it and we're looking forward to having this more often this spring!

I take the lazy way and don't follow all the trimming instructions for the pastry. I just fold the two pastry's over onto the top.

Swiss Chard Tart
1 lb Chard, stems and ribs removed
1 1/2 T olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (15-oz) container Ricotta cheese
1/2 c Parmesan cheese, grated
2 large eggs
1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t fresh thyme, minced
1/4 t fresh oregano, minced
1/8 t nutmeg

1 (17.3-oz) package frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed

Thaw pastry sheets--will take at least 40 minutes.

Cook chard in a large pot of boiling salted water until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Drain, squeeze out liquid, and chop chard. Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, saute 1 minute. Add chard and saute until excess liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile combine ricotta, Parmesan, eggs, salt, black pepper, thyme, oregano, and nutmeg. Mix the chard mixture into the ricotta mixture. Roll out 1 pastry sheet on lightly floured surface to 14 inch square. Transfer to 9" diameter tart pan (with removable bottom, however, I don't have that so I use a 9" pie pan). Trim edges, leaving 1 inch overhang. Fill pastry with chard mixture. Roll out second sheet to 13" square. Trim pastry square to 10 inch round. Drape over filling. Seal edges and fold in. Bake in preheated 375 oven on rack positioned in bottom 1/3 of the oven until pastry is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: