Monday, March 23, 2009

Shrimp Scampi and Beets

Thankfully, I remembered today that I had a pound of shrimp in the freezer. We blew through our CSA box this week and going into this evening all I had left was the three beets and a little of parsley (plus all those cabbages I can't quite bring myself to cook. Enough with the cabbage!!!). I reverted back to the standby of mac and cheese and a chef salad last night. A quick run down of the meals for the past several days:

Saturday: Spinach Souffle
Sunday: Mac and Cheese and chef salad (with carrots, hard boiled eggs, and bacon)
Monday: Shrimp Scampi and Beets
Tuesday: Who knows.....

Shrimp scampi is always a hit with M who loves shrimp and J who loves pasta (but not so much the shrimp).

The beets were the biggest hit though. I've found if I wash, peel, and then dice them (into about 1/2" chunks) and through them in a pot of water, they get quite tasty. They need to cook for at least 30 minutes to be good and tender so be sure to give them enough time. I also think a liberal dousing of salt improves them a lot, it cuts the sweet. (No one else in my family salts them, that's just me who isn't a huge beet fan).

Who knows I may come down and make cabbage of some sort for dinner tomorrow night. I have to use it sometime and I don't have anything else that is begging to get used.

4 comments:

Kate G. said...

Coleslaw. I made a mess of it with grated carrots and a poppyseed dressing. I'm freezing it too. I'm using lots of it that way. You know, cabbage is a superfood :)

Melani said...

See that's a problem...I am not a big coleslaw fan (I am such a picky veggie eater, I know! What am I doing with a CSA??)

Kate G. said...

You are so silly with the veggies you don't eat! I love it! My coleslaw isn't mayo. i use yogurt and rice vinegar instead. I hate mayo slaws. I dislike mayo altogether. Unless it is on a BLT. Bacon...

Melani said...

That's what's funny...I LOVE mayo--I could eat it straight out of the jar. But not on burgers and not with cabbage. Everything gets too runny.