Sunday, March 15, 2009

Easy Sunday Supper

Sunday suppers are one of two things---super easy or enough to feed an army so we have leftovers for the week. Tonight we went with super easy because I didn't feel like cooking and because we had a big lunch. The supper? Sandwiches, salad, and strawberries. Curtis and I had egg salad, resting on a bed of baby arugula and nestled between two pieces of toasted challah bread. The kids had PB&J because I didn't really want to encourage them to eat something I didn't want to share with them (plus they love PB&J so they were happy). I also pulled out some carrots I had in the fridge and some strawberries I had sliced for waffles this morning. I didn't have a lot of the ingredients I needed for the egg salad and I halved the recipe because I didn't want to use all our eggs for supper, but it was still great. I left out the basil, celery, and red bell pepper.

Egg Salad
8 eggs
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c red bell pepper, minced
3 T fresh basil, minced
2 T pine nuts, roasted
1/4 c celery, diced
1/4 c mayonnaise
1 t red wine vinegar
1/2 t salt
black pepper, to taste

Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer about 10 minutes. While the eggs cook, combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Submerge the cooked eggs in cold water and crack the shells to facilitate peeling (rolling the eggs gently on the counter helps a lot--older eggs also peel easier than just laid eggs). Peel the eggs as soon as they are cool enough to handle and transfer to a medium bowl. Mas the eggs with a pastry blender, potato masher, or fork. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir everything gently to combine and serve.

Strawberry Vinaigrette
1 c strawberries, sliced
4 t rice vinegar
4 t lemon juice
1 T sugar
1 1/2 t honey
1/4 t salt
1/8 t each garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil leaves, dried parsley flakes, pepper (all or any combination--I used garlic powder and fresh parsley I think)
1/4 c olive oil

Puree strawberries in a food processor or blender. Add remaining ingredients except oil. Blend, then gradually add oil while blending on low speed. Serve over salad and store in the refrigerator.

No comments: